I participated in another great discussion on Atl & Co today. What was your first job and when should kids be expected to start working? — The earlier the better according to this 11 Alive panel. Click on this link to see what I mean: Atl & Co. Round table -Summer Jobs
Here is a list of some of the top reasons to get your kids off the couch and doing something productive this summer:
- teaches responsibility, dedication, & work ethic
- monetizes possible passions by helping determine types of careers, tasks, and environments they might like and those they will hate
- forms all kinds of work skills (those even as basic as punching a time clock and taking orders from others)
- exposures them to different management styles & co-worker personalities
- starts them on the path to financial independence
- forces them to think about something other than themselves (as well as gets them out of your hair for awhile – lol)
- builds resume’, networking skills, & confidence
Yes, they will whine … but in the end they will be better off and may even thank you one day!
Make the most of your day!